|Turn off your iPad. It is not to be used (in any way) in this classroom, either for academic or recreational use (unless approved by the instructor). Ignoring this will result in detention and further disciplinary action (Gross Misconduct/Refusal to comply).||Did you remember to put your assignments in a folder? Did you label the folder after the assignment title? Did you save your file in the appropriate manner? If not: NO GRADE! Check your PowerSchool frequently. It's your RESPONSIBILITY!|
Due Date: May 2
You have been contacted by a major media outfit (Sony Music, RCA, Amazon Digital, Virgin Records, etc) who is expecting a new release of a top-selling recording artist's next album. They are in need of a creative individual who can capture the essence and imagery for the production for such a product, and your name came up. This means not only good money but serious accolades and bragging rights. In some respects, your visual creation tells the story with pictures where the musicians tell the story with their songs. And, usually, your artwork gets splattered all over t-shits, posters, stickers, buttons, and maybe even a video game (anything' is possible these days). So, to say that this is a BIG DEAL is sort of an understatement.
But, first things first. In order to capture this so-called essence, it is important to actually know a little something about this musical entity. Questions you should ask are:
- Is it a band or an individual?
- What style of music do they perform?
- Does this musical entity have a logo?
- Do they stick to a certain sort of color theme?
- Is the album considered a "concept album"
These are just some considerations regarding your mindset when constructing design work to put the musician's words and music into a visual medium.
What you will need to provide your instructor:
- Sketch of album cover work (logo / thumbnail)
- A larger sketch of your album cover work (the rough)
- A sample of the musician's lyrics or a youtube video of their music, in order to support your design's inspiration (send me a link via email)
Now: There's the easy way and the hard way to set this up:
- The Easy Way: Save this PDF and open it up in Illustrator to use it as the template for your project layout (Click Here).
- The Hard Way: Your CD/MP3 download design will consist of: (If using Photoshop, be sure to set your document dimensions at 4.75 inches (H) x 5 inches (W), at 300 dpi resolution.
- Booklet (album) Cover (5 in Width x 4.75 in Height)
- Booklet Insert 1 & 2 (4.75 in Height x 10 in Wide)
- Back Booklet cover (4.75 in Height x 5 in Wide)
- CD Jewel Case Tray Card backing (4.875 in Height x 5.406 Width, with a .25 inch spine on both sides - overall width is 5.906 inches)
- CD Jewel Case Tray Card Interior (4.875 in Height x 5.906 inch wide)
- CD (114mm x 114mm)
NO IMAGES FROM THE INTERNET ARE TO BE USED FOR THIS ASSIGNMENT! NO IMAGE MANIPULATION WHATSOEVER. ALL CONTENT MUST BE CREATED ORIGINALLY IN ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR AND/OR PHOTOSHOP.